Want to make the most indulgent vegan millionaires shortbread that will impress even your non-vegan friends? Keep on reading to find out how.
Ingredients – base:
- 250g plain flour
- 150g dairy free spread
- 75g caster sugar
Ingredients – caramel:
- 170g golden syrup
- 120g dairy free spread
- 1 tin of condensed coconut milk (tinned coconut milk)
Ingredients – chocolate:
- 1 large family size bar of dairy free chocolate
- 1 dessertspoon of pure coconut oil
- Mix the base ingredients to a breadcrumb consistency. If you have a mixer available I suggest using this.
- Press into a shallow lined tin.
- Bake on 150d for roughly 20-25 minutes. It should remain pale in colour like a shortbread biscuit.
- Place the ingredients for the caramel in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. You must stir constantly otherwise it will burn. This process can be a lengthy one. I’ve done this in 15 minutes before but generally it takes at least half an hour! What you are looking for is for it to bubble up almost to the top of the saucepan. When you have reached this point reduce the heat until it thickens to a runny syrup consistency. KEEP STIRRING AT ALL TIMES!
- Pour over your base layer and place in the fridge for roughly 2 hours to set.
- Once the base and caramel have set melt the chocolate and coconut oil and then pour over.
- Place back in the fridge until all layers have completely set. This usually takes about an hour but I like to leave mine in for longer to ensure everything is totally solid. I suggest leaving it overnight. If you do want it ready quicker you can always put it in the freezer.